Thursday 14 December 2006

Deepak doesn't get Buddhism

Deepak doesn't get Buddhism.

Quoting Deepak:
"Yet there is a deeper question lurking here. I may feel that I want a banana, but where did this "I" come from" Maybe it's a delusion as some philosophers and brain scientists assert, since no once has ever found the region of the brain where the personal self resides. Even so, we don't have to take a leap into arch materialism. Buddhists believe that the individual ego is an illusion, and this fact points them toward a universal intelligence (not a personal God) that is consistent with recent neurological findings."



Deepak, the illusion of an individual ego does not necessarily point toward a universal intelligence. It could just as easily point to somewhere else. If someone was schooled in the practice of Pure Land Buddhism, it might point this way:



The Thinker: Who is reciting the Buddha's name?

Thought: I am.

The Thinker: Who is 'I'?

Thought: Wrong question. The right question is What is 'I'?

The Thinker: 'I' is a product of thought. I am the product of thought.

The Thought: I don't make thoughts, but AM thought.

Thought: The thinker is thought.

Thought: Thought is generated by the brain.



Deepak, the 'universal intelligence' is cunning thought spinning a new illusion.